Thursday, September 11, 2008

Muse Ick

  • We're doing a lot of work with sound these days. It offers the opportunity to enjoy some very high-end audio equipment.
  • I usually listen to music whenever I'm at my computer. I'm at my computer a lot.
  • Sam has a Rhapsody account which I'm using more often than he. Despite having a world of music at my fingertips, I fall into my old habit of listening to the same few songs on repeat.
  • My song de jour is "Return" by OK Go, followed by "Hello My Treacherous Friends" from the same album. I'm also enjoying some Wynton Marsalis. At the moment, I'm listening to Natalie Cole.
  • We're thinking of creating a home music server product. I'm working on some code now.
  • I think sound is often more emotionally powerful than imagery because vision is elective and hearing is not. We are constantly choosing where to look (consciously or otherwise). Vision is strongly tied to attention, which is strongly tied to the intellect. We do not have the same granular control over hearing: we hear things whether we want to or not. Emotions work much the same way: we feel them whether we want to or not. That's why I think music is so emotionally effective.
When I'm not looking at you, I'm looking at you.