Friday, December 22, 2006

It's December 21, 2006!

I use one composition notebook for every class for the whole semester. Today I am filling the last blank pages with an essay for European Drama. What timing! I was leafing through the chicken scratch to see what all I had learned these past four months. The pages included:

  • Code
  • IPA
  • Sketch comedy scripts
  • A few doodles
  • 8 pages of writing done with my non-predominant hand (the left)
  • Blog posts. Some posted, others not.
  • Reminders and notes
  • Thoughts
I wrote some stuff while sitting in Washington Square Park one day. Here are excerpts:
I'm sitting in the most, I guess, beautiful part of WSP, but it smells. There are perfectly yellow leaves falling all around me. There are newspapers and a trashcan nearby. I imagine that is what smells.

...

When I was walking to the river last Sunday, it occurred to me that almost all of the trees in the city have been castrated. They grow through tree-trunk sized holes in the concrete, spaced at precise distances. Each season, they spill their seeds upon the infertile pavement.

...

I don't crave attention. I crave interest.

...

The length of my hair leads me to certain new mannerisms and habits.

...

I love language. It gives form and order to thought. I enjoy the order of language, even past its point of usefulness. Syntax, for example. Language can be wrong in its grammar but correct in its thought, and it is wrong. There is a whole other level of "right" and "wrong" which has nothing to do with logic or morality, only conformance to rule. I enjoy this abstraction. It allows me to differentiate a "right" from a "wrong" without the encumbering ambiguities of logic or morality. I wonder how the English language has shaped the nature of my thinking. Greatly, I suppose. Nearly all of my thoughts occur in English and such a saturation of grammar, rules, violations, exceptions, and idiosyncrasies in the language have undoubtedly tempered the content of my thoughts in some way. Language is meant to serve thoughts. However, over time I'm sure the human mind, so often occupied with the translation of thought to word, begins to shade and alter the germinal thoughts as a consequence of the language.
Jos Ceausescu!